Health Benefits of Beer

It might seem crazy to think that beer can actually make you healthier, but there’s growing evidence to confirm just as much. The key to obtaining the health benefits of beer is through moderation, meaning drinking around one or two glasses a day. However, don’t go thinking that binge drinking will lead to healthy kidneys and a higher IQ. It doesn’t work like that, which is why we’re here to tell you substantiated health benefits that come with drinking, or cooking with, beer.

Nutritional Value

While beer is 90% water, that remaining 10% is packed with a number of nutrients our body needs to keep functioning, including fibre and trace amounts of calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc and more. Beer contains more protein and vitamin B than wine and its unique antioxidants come from the malts and hops used in brewing. The amount of antioxidants present is the same as those found in wine but they’re of a different composition due to varying ingredients. Beer also contains probiotics that aid in increasing the good bacteria in your gut for a healthier digestive system.

Boosts Bone Health

One of the few dietary sources for silicon is found in beer and is important regarding the growth and development of bone and its connective tissue. One study showed that moderate drinkers were 38% less likely to have osteoporosis compared to non-drinkers, while another revealed that moderate drinkers were 20% less likely to fracture their hip.

Reduces the Risk of Diabetes

It’s the belief through the amount of research done, that the risk of developing type 2 diabetes is reduced by 30% with a healthy intake of beer. A Dutch study looked at 38,000 male health professionals and determined that, over the course of moderate drinking for four years, they were less likely to develop diabetes. Similarly, a Danish study concluded that the moderate consumption of alcohol over three to four days is associated with a lower risk of diabetes.

Lower Risk of Heart Disease

Studies have found that men who’d already suffered heart attacks before becoming moderate beer drinkers had a 42% lower chance of developing further heart disease or dying than non-drinkers. One 500ml glass that’s about 5% alcohol is what researchers recommend drinking per day to gain these benefits. Another study done by the American Heart Association in 2016 followed 80,000 people over six years. They determined that moderate drinking slowly declined cholesterol levels which, in turn, lowered the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Aids with Mental Health Issues

One reason many people drink beer, or alcohol in general, is to reduce stress and tension in the body. But beer also affects the brain, boosting creativity and, according to researchers at Loyola University, moderate drinkers were 23% less likely to develop Alzheimer’s and dementia than non-drinkers. Light to moderate drinking from 50 years of age and on was associated with a slower decline in cognitive abilities than heavy and non-drinkers, according to multiple Parkinson’s disease studies. These results are connected with the improvement of blood flow to the brain from the rise of good cholesterol.

At Seven Degrees in Edmonton, Alberta, shop our extensive collection of wine and craft beer to your heart’s content. Our liquor store’s number one goal has always been to bring you high-quality wines, craft beers and spirits at a great price. Our experts have the knowledge and experience to help you find the perfect beverage for any occasion. So stop by today and try a sample or two of select products.

Posted in Wine Stores Edmonton and tagged , , .